Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I love about WDW

This blog is quite the work in progress. Although I created it months ago, I've been hesitant to begin regular posting. I want to make sure that I do WDW justice.

I've had a very fortunate life. The only daughter of a Civil Engineer and a stay at home mother, I grew up in a happy, loving household. I was born and raised in South Florida, which not only boasted warm weather and beautiful beaches, but it was also a short trip to WDW. My parents would take my brother and me to visit WDW at least once a year. By the time I hit middle school, we were making multiple trips a year. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall...we went to WDW. And we loved it. One of my favorite memories is when we spent a week at The Contemporary following a conference my father was attending there. It was perfect. We leisurely visited the parks, swam, and even rented a pontoon boat one day to discover Bay Lake.

As I grew older, I continued to visit frequently. Even though I would go up with my friends, I still looked forward to my family trips. I started to visit Disney with my then boyfriend (now husband). He quickly caught D-fever as well. One night, right before Wishes! began, he proposed at Cinderella's Castle, in front of my family and thousands of strangers. It was only fitting that we married nearly a year later at the Wedding Pavilion, overlooking that same castle.

Now, four years later, we still go to WDW once every other month. We bring our daughter, Abigail, to all of our special spots. At just over a year old, she is just starting to recognize the characters, and it brings her so much happiness. I hope my Disney story never ends.

So, why do I love WDW so much? It's my happy place. Yes, this may sound like the product of a generation pumped with effective marketing, but it's true. It is the Happiest Place on Earth.

When I'm in WDW, nothing else matters. Work, finances, relationship troubles- they are all left at thome. I actually feel the Magic there. It is tangible. I can remember being 10 years old, walking down Main Street, U.S.A, tugging at my father's hand out of excitement. 20 years later, that same little girl comes out. I still squeeze my father's hand and I become his little girl all over again. When I watch the parades, I still feel the urge to waive to the characters and sing along to the words I know so well. And I simply cannot watch Wishes! without tearing up. I guess one of the reasons I love WDW so much is that it's not just my 'happy' place, it's also my 'family' place. My parents, brother, and I- and now my husband and daughter- it brings us closer together.

Another reason I love WDW is for its complexity. People always wonder how I am able to visit as often as I do without being bored. These people simply do not understand. When I was little, WDW was pixie dust, Minnie Mouse, and fairy tales. By my adolescent years, it was all about the rides. And now, as an adult, I would walk the World Showcase forever, taking in the sights and smells from each country. The experience of WDW is never the same; it has the perfect mix of evolving while still being warm and familiar. We try new restaurants and hotels. We play miniature golf or go on horse-drawn carriages. But we will always get dessert from Boulangerie Patisserie before posting up to watch Illuminations. It's perfect harmony.

Lastly, I am very appreciative of the setup and design of the physical space. Every square inch of space has meaning and purpose. Take the building that houses the Hall of Presidents, in the Magic Kingdom. At first glance, it simply fits in with the colonial look of Liberty Square. But if you do some homework, you learn that every single detail is period specific. Its amazing to see how much thought has been put into WDW. I appreciate the history, architecture, and design that together provide the sense of place. And this is done with each pavilion, attraction, building, etc! And that it all works together- I am blown away at the capabilities of the Imagineers.

So, there you have it: all the ways and reasons I love WDW. I love it as a little girl, an adult, a daughter, a wife, a mother and as a professional.

°o° Natalie

1 comment: